Sweeney and other members of the staff compiled a top 10 list for energy-savings last school year:
- 1.) Lights off in classrooms, lounge, gym, café, and restrooms when not in use.
- 2.) Use natural light when possible.
- 3.) Use only one set of lights if room/hall has more than one.
- 4.) Monitor lighting in parking lots.
- 5.) Use power strips for electrical devices (pencil sharpeners, lamps, document cameras, sound systems, etc), and shut off at end of day.
- 6.) All computer/printer/projectors turned off when not in use and at end of day.
- 7.) Manually turn monitors off or use sleep mode during day when not in use.
- 8.) Assign caretakers (students) to monitor computers in shared space at end of day.
- 9.) Temperature control devices monitored and adjusted.
- 10.) Use of window shades to admit or reduce solar heat.
Many parts of R-W’s list are pertinent to all of our buildings. Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Sweeney!