Five student-athletes from Lapeer East High School were honored yesterday afternoon during a ceremony held to formally announce their college choices. All five of the student-athletes will be playing soccer at the next level, including a trio of Eagles who will play in Metro Detroit at Lawrence Tech.
To the next level:
- Justin Henderson, Carthage College – plans to study Accounting
- Madison Kobylik, Schoolcraft College – plans to study Sports Medicine
- Andrew Gonda, Lawrence Technical University – plans to study Engineering
- Alex Henson, Lawrence Technical University – plans to study Computer Science
- Zachary Whatcott, Lawrence Technical University – plans to study Mechanical Engineering
East Athletic Director Sharon Miller said the students’ success on and off the soccer field is a positive reflection of East’s outstanding program including feeder programs for young student-athletes.
“It speaks volumes, and I’m sure the parents here are very proud,” Miller said.
Lapeer East varsity girls’ and boys’ soccer coach, Chad Kenny, wanted to reminder everyone in the room about the bigger picture. ”
This is a great day for Lapeer East … these schools are getting really smart kids,” said Kenny, who talked about his message to younger student-athletes. “If you want to do this, yeah you have to work on the soccer skills; but, you have to be a good solid student — and that’s what we have.”